Any software you implement at your door dealership should enable or enhance your business process. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believe the software or technology itself is the solution, when in reality, technology is, at best, 10 percent of the value equation. The other 90 percent is based on the human factor.
Knowing this, it’s no wonder 70 percent of technology implementations fail. In other words, seven out of 10 applications that are installed and for which companies spend thousands of dollars to implement aren’t being used one year later. Talk about wasted resources!
How does this happen? All too often, company or department leaders hear about new software and view it as the “next shiny thing.” They call the software provider and say, “We heard you have a great tool and we’d like a demonstration.” The software is certainly seductive with its bells and whistles, but its effectiveness and usefulness depend on the validity of the information going in and how the people actually work with it. Having a tool is great, but remember that a fool with a tool is still a fool (and sometimes a dangerous fool).
So if technology is not the answer, what is? The answer that will really solve organizational challenges and enable business processes consists of three parts that, when done correctly in conjunction, will lead to long-lasting results.
1. Get the Business-Process Design Right
The first step to a smart technology implementation is to get clear on what information goes in and what analysis comes out, which has nothing to do with the software itself. This is called business-process design. Unfortunately, many companies fail to align technology with their processes. That’s because some companies have no processes, while others have a stated process (the one they talk about) and an emergent process (the one they actually do). So what’s a business process and how do you design one?
A process is like a recipe. If you have a great recipe for New York-style cheesecake that calls for folding in three eggs one at a time, yet you decide to blend in all three eggs at once, you’ll get a completely different (and probably not very good) end product than if you had followed the directions. Make the recipe again and follow the instructions in the proper order, and your cheesecake will be edible.